Your Surgery Journey
Preparing for your surgery
Prior to surgery, a nurse from South County Outpatient Surgery Center will call you. The purpose of this call is to obtain a brief medical history and baseline information about your health and medication usage so that we can take better care of you. Additionally, this call will serve as a notification of your surgery time. We aim to serve all our patients as efficiently and effectively as possible, so appreciate your understanding that while we are able to tell you your surgery date at time of initial scheduling, we do not finalize your surgery time until 24-48 hours prior.
A few things to remember
We will need a completed History and Physical form signed by your doctor releasing you for your procedure prior to your scheduled surgery.
Please plan your transportation home from our center following your procedure and ask a responsible adult to assist in your care for at least 24 hours following surgery.
Please leave all money, credit cards, jewelry and valuables at home to ensure that nothing gets left behind
Notify your physician immediately if there is any change in your physical condition prior to surgery (i.e. fever, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or respiratory infection).
The day of your surgery
During your pre-op call with one of our nurses, we will answer any of your questions and walk you through what to expect on the day of your procedure.
- Do not use tobacco products, gum or hard candy the day of surgery.
- Please refrain from alcohol or recreational drugs 24 hours prior to your procedure.
- Please ask your physician if you should take any routine prescription medications the morning of your procedure.
- Plan on arriving at the surgery center at least one hour prior to your scheduled procedure time, unless you are instructed differently, and plan on spending at least 2 hours with us. Please call us when you arrive and one of our staff members will come out for you when the team is ready.
- Please leave a phone number where you can be reached the day of your procedure.
- Please bring all of the paperwork you have received from your physician’s center with you on the day of your procedure or send it in to our facility prior to your appointment.
When you arrive at South County Outpatient Surgery Center, please call us at 561-637-5808. We ask that you remain in your car until someone from our team comes out for you. At this time, you will be asked to review and sign certain forms.
During the admission process, you will be asked for information regarding medical insurance coverage, including a copy of your insurance card. Identification cards such as a driver’s license or government issued identification card should also be brought with you at the time of your admission.
In order to prepare your chart, you will be asked for your medical information and family history. This information enables your physician and the nursing staff to better understand your medical needs. All information given is kept strictly confidential.
Your physician(s) will determine when you are ready to be discharged from the center. A nurse will review the discharge plans with you and your responsible caregiver at this time. We will provide a written copy of the discharge instructions which includes items such as: physical and activity restrictions, if any; information regarding medication you are to take after discharge; and other special instructions that your doctor wishes you to have. If you have any questions after your discharge, call our staff at 561-637-5808.